atras


Diocese Cathedral


Located on the north side of the Plaza Mayor, it was designed by the Capuchin architect F. Domingo Pérez de Petrés. Contracted in 1804 to replace the doctrination church built on that site by the chief magistrate Pedro de Tovar y Buendía, later erected as a parish church in 1779 where the Comunero Agreement was sworn in 1781.  It was inaugurated and consecrated on November 9th, 1870,its interior decorated by the painter José Díaz Nemogal, finished in 1916, and finally exalted as a Cathedral in 1952, the year the Zipaquirá diocese was created.